HISTORY OF WORK POINT BARRACKS
by Jack Bates
PART 5 — 1919 to 1939
Brigadier General A.G.L. McNaughton takes command of Military District No. 11 at Work Point Barracks in 1928. He promptly constructed a swimming pool behind the Officer’s mess which tides filled and emptied – an innovation for the period. Portions of the walls of the pool remain today.
Also at Work Point in April, came George Pearkes, appointed as Staff Officer to MD 11. This was fine with him as he had been married at St. Paul’s Garrison Church on August 26, 1925 to Blytha Copeman, and his wife’s parents were still living in the Victoria area. He was to remain headquartered at Work Point until the fall of 1929, when they relocated to Kingston, Ontario.
COL. HOLMES DIES IN CITY
Was Twice Commanding Officer at Esquimalt,
HAD LIVED TO ADVANCED AGE
The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon of Colonel Josiah Greenwood Holmes, former commanding officer of this military district. The service will be held at 2 o’clock at St. Mary’s Church, Oak Bay, Rev. A. deL Nunns officiating. Colonel Holmes, who was believed to be the last surviving officer of the original permanent force in Canada, died on Sunday evening at the residence of his son, Colonel W.J.H. Holmes, D.S.O., 1286 Roslyn Road, in his eighty-third year.
IN FENIAN RAID
Born in 1845 at St. Catherines, Ont., of English parentage, Colonel Holmes was educated at Grantham Academy. While a youth he joined the 19th Regiment Lincoln Militia and was posted as ensign when twenty years of age. With this organization he took part in the Fenian Raid campaigns in the Niagara Peninsula, in the years 1866 and 1870, receiving the medal with two clasps.
After serving two years as Captain with the St. Catherines Garrison Artillery, Colonel Holmes entered the permanent force in 1871 as a lieutenant in A Battery, Canadian School of Gunnery, later Royal Canadian Artillery, formed when Imperial forces were withdrawn from Canadian points other than Halifax and Esquimalt. Twelve years of service brought promotion to the rank of Colonel.
Col. Holmes attracted wide attention among artillerymen in 1878, when he won the first prize offered by the Dominion Artillery Association for an essay on “The Organization of Equipment and Localization of Artillery for the Dominion of Canada.”
COMES TO COAST
He came out to Esqumalt in the year 1883, to organize the coast defences, with the rank of acting Deputy Adjutant General.
For ten years Colonel Holmes directed the military affairs of this district, among his active service duties being command of the military expedition sent against the Skeena Indians in 1888. In 1893 he was transferred again to the east, where he commanded at Winnipeg and at London, Ont., where he was D.O.C. from 1898 until 1901, when he returned to Victoria and resumed charge of Military District No. 11.
He retired from active service in 1909.
Colonel Holmes married Elizabeth Kew, of Beamsville, Ont., in 1870, who died two years ago. He is survived by two sons, Colonel W.J.H. Holmes, D.S.O., of Victoria and Mr. H.A. Holmes of the Canadian bank of Commerce head office at Toronto; three daughters, Mrs. Cedric Hay of Moss street, Mrs. E.A.C. Studd of Vancouver, and Mrs. B. Garland Ashley of Tonopah, Nevada. There are six grandchildren.
A MILITARY PIONEER
Colonel J.G. Holmes, so well known to Victorians for so many years, who has just passed away, was a military pioneer in this country. By this death there has gone the last of the group of officers of the original Permanent Force of the Dominion. Colonel Holmes was a pioneer in that he assisted in the establishment of a military organization, and, as an organizer in succeeding years, in strengthening and consolidating the Permanent Force he did excellent work. His name is closely identified with the Permanent Force at Work Point for he was the first commanding officer of this Military District. Not long after he came here it was determined to organize defences at Esquimalt and the task was allotted to the late Colonel Holmes. It was in the hands of a most efficient officer because Colonel Holmes was an authority on artillery. After leaving here he commanded at Winnipeg and at London, Ontario, and then returned to Esquimalt to take up again the duties of District Officer Commanding, a position which he held from 1901 until his retirement in 1909.
Colonel Holmes was always cordially liked during his administrative life here, and his qualities as a soldier were respected. He inspired discipline among those under him. It is not too much to say that he laid the foundations of the administrative service at Work point which as been carried on so ably by his successors. His efficiency will always be remembered in Canadian military records. In this community he was a citizen of the highest standing, and all who knew him, and his circle of friendships was a wide one, will extend the deepest sympathy to the members of the family.
May 17, 1928
COL. J.G. HOLMES OBSEQUIES HELD
Military Funeral Accorded Former District Officer Commanding Here
The funeral of Colonel Josiah Greenwood Holmes was held yesterday afternoon, the remains being interred at Ross Bay Cemetery with full military honors.
The following acted as pall bearers: General Sir Percy Lake, General A.J.L. McNaughton, D.O.C., Colonel (Dr.) E.C. Hart, Commander C. Slingsby, Mr. R.E. Brett, Mr. Hugh Peters, Major A. Mulcahy, and Mr. Herbert Carmichael.
Rev. A.E. deL Nunns, officiated at the service at St. Mary;s Church, Oak Bay, in the presence of a large attendance. Mrs. Chambers represented the Pro Patria branch of the Canadian Legion. The hymns sung were: “For All The Saints, Who From Their Labors Rest,” and “Abide With Me.” The Twenty-Third Psalm was rendered. The Dead march in “Saul” was played as the casket was removed from the church.
The casket was draped with the Union Jack, and conveyed on a gun carriage in charge of Sergt. H.K. Scrase. Captain G.E. Wells was in charge of the firing party from the P.P.C.L.I., and Bugler Sgt. Bates sounded “The Last Post.”
PPCLI regimental training was available at Sarcee Camp; in addition “B” Company was able to participate in combined manoeuvres at Maple Bay with the Royal Navy, the Royal Canadian Navy and the Royal Canadian Air Force. Then a Staff Officer, GR Pearkes attended this event.
Photo – GR Pearkes at Maple Bay.
At Fort Macaulay there was 1 – 6 inch Mk VI (obsolete) disappearing gun (sold to Norway), 2 – 6 inch Q.F. Naval Mountings, and 2 - 13 pounder Anti Aircraft guns in place (Practice Battery), later 2 - 12 pounder guns were added as another practice battery.
Esquimalt Electoral District
Courtesy Esquimalt Archives, received January 28, 2015.
60th Coast Battery, RCA – (CA)
Water Works Dept.,
Dear Sir: During a practice fire alarm at this Fort some time ago, something went wrong with the fire hydrant, and it was quite a considerable time before the water could be shut off. The reason for this being that there was no wrench or key available to turn off the water at the main.
It is suggested that you supply this fort with a suitable wrench or key so that in future if anything does go wrong with the hydrants, the water can be turned off immediately. Military regulations compel us to hold these practice fire alarms.
(W.R. Cross) Major, RCA
Andrew G.L. McNaughton, on promotion to Major General, was appointed Chief of the General Staff and relocated to Ottawa in 1929. To his credit, post WW1, he was attested to be “Probably the best and the most scientific gunner of any army in the world.” At age 41, he was also the youngest C.G.S. in Canadian history. He was to serve his country in many other military and political posts to follow. He passed away in 1966. There is a street named in his memory in Esquimalt in Walking Tour # 6, unfortunately with a somewhat derogatory reference. (His son, who also became a General,changed his surname to Leslie to satisfy a family matter.)
Learning to Know History of Locality
Last Sunday afternoon, October 6, an interesting walk was taken by a group of young people who have banded themselves together for the purpose of studying the natural and historical features of Victoria and its environs. Under the leadership of Mr. C.C. Pemberton, president of the Natural History Society and a member of the local features committee of the British Columbia Historical Association, the party assembled at south end of the Post Office, where they viewed the photograph of old time Victoria which has been set up there by Mr. French, and contrasted the present with the past, while observing the natural features brought out in this fine picture.
Following the Wharf street waterfront, they came upon the site of the old fort, and found sprouts of oak marking the places of the fine old trees whereon, according to Sir Henry Crease, Sir James Douglas posted the notices proclaiming the erection of the fort; this clump of scrub oak was seen near the Marine and Fisheries building. The old Hudson’s Bay Company’s store and wharf, Bastion Square, historic places in the early days when passengers arrived from London and San Francisco, were visited. The old Hudson’s Bay store is said to have been built of brick which came from England around the Horn, and it was here that all the shopping was done in the early days. Among the old buildings is the site of the first Colonist office, and much interest was taken in attempting to decipher the inscriptions on the walls of the stores, some of which are quite clearly visible.
Proceeding to Johnson street, a picture of the one - time beautiful ravine was conjured up, but having passed from its stage of flowery banks and running stream to an objectionable insanitary ditch, it had been gradually filled in. The harbor was crossed, over the new bridge, while reminiscing of the time of the first bridge, and later the ferry boat by which one crossed for a fare of twenty-five cents.
HISTORIC MACAULEY PLAINS
The Indian Reserve, now the Industrial Reserve, was contrasted in its present flourishing condition with the old cedar huts, which were portrayed in Paul Kane’s wonderful painting of Fort Victoria, showing also the Indian war canoes, with vociferating crews, in the foreground of the picture. Skirting the shore line to Head street, a curious oak was observed near the golf links, an oak the trunk of which has grown to envelop the rock masses in an extraordinary manner. Some fine old Douglas firs were next observed, showing a peculiar feature; where the bark had been cut off the trunk the vigor of the trees had supplied strange burls and healings. From the heights of rock at this point the aircraft and traffic of the harbor were seen; two planes alighted while the party kept to the eminences. Continuing on their way, the contrast between pines and firs were studied; one fine old tree, much damaged, had assumed a peculiar trident shape following the loss of its stem and upturning branches; the causes of this condition were discussed. McLaughlin Point, named after the famous Dr. John McLaughlin, in charge of the Western Division of the Hudson’s Bay Company, was next reached; thence to Macaulay Point, named after Donald Macaulay, in charge of Viewfield farm for the Puget Sound Agricultural Society (H.B.C.), who was accidentally drowned in the Esquimalt Harbor in 1868.
Here the party paused in admiration of the remains of the beautiful stretch of woodlands, and the natural features of dry open plain contrasted with the moisture laden wooded portions; their meditations were disturbed by shouting, which showed them their danger of being bombarded by golf balls. Moving on, a fine strand of native poplars (Trichocarpa) was discovered, a fallen trunk measuring twenty feet in circumference. Soon the party left the road, and reached Saxe Point, which is named in association with Coburg and Gotha Point in Esquimalt Harbor, after H.R.H. Prince Albert of Saxe – Coburg and Gotha, Royal Consort of Queen Victoria. The great length of Douglas fir roots, extending along the ground in search of water, was commented upon. One battered weird fir showing almost human intelligence sending branches out of the wind; these in turn throw up young shoots to endeavour to replace the original stems, battered to pieces in the wind.
Very Striking specimens of large arbutus trees were much admired with their bright red stems and vivid green foliage; it was also easy to see from their straggling shape that they had originally grown in a forest of dense firs and had successfully battled for light with their former competitors now dead and gone. Further beautiful woods showed many places of plant life, among them weird living stumps, causes of which aroused much controversy in early ages in Europe.
AT NAVAL YARD
In one of the streets traversed, a beautiful archway formed by two arbutus trees, due to another victorious contest for light as a consequence of their ability to dodge sideways in chase of it, elicited enthusiastic admiration. The party then came to the sleepy and deserted naval part of Esquimalt and listened to an account of the halcyon days of the British Naval Station. Arrived at the Dockyard, the beautiful grounds and historical buildings were visited by kind permission of the authorities, and the early days were recalled of the landing of wounded from the British and French ships which engaged the Russians in the Crimean War in 1855. The afternoon was greatly enjoyed and it is proposed to hold such meetings at intervals during the coming months. Anyone wishing to join in these expeditions may obtain further information by telephoning 1073L.
About 170 Officers, NCO’s and men of the PPCLI, A and B companies, attended summer camp in Sarcee in 1930.
No. 11 Detachment R.C.E. was renamed 17 Fortress Company,C.E. (N. P.) and remained as such until 1939. (Originally located at Signal Hill, it was responsible for manning searchlights on the coast, Rodd Hill and Black Rock, not R.C.E.)
In the spring of 1931 “B” Company was sent from Victoria to Vancouver to support the civil authorities but fortunately the situation improved overnight and military aid was not required.(They were hustled out of Work Point on to a Destroyer in full battle order with ball ammunition but never got off the ship in Vancouver)
In 1932, the national government, in an attempt to relieve some of the suffering of the unemployed, introduced the first of the Dominion Unemployment Relief Projects. Of particular benefit to Esquimalt, orders were issued for the renovation and construction of barracks which included new facilities for Work Point.(The huts to house them were located at Macaulay Point and they were issued cardigans and deck shoes and paid 25c a day, and were employed bulding camp sites etc).
COL. J.A. HALL DIED YESTERDAY
Distinguished Scientist and Soldier Succumbs at Esquimalt;
Was Commanding Officer of Fifth Regiment and 88th Fusiliers
Lieut. – Col. John A. Hall noted scientist and former Commander of the Fifth regiment, C.G.A., and the 88th Fusiliers, succumbed after a long illness yesterday at his home, “Longstone,” Old Esquimalt Road. His death removes one of Western Canada’s pioneer chemists, he having been associated with the late Frederick Moore and the late J.W. Fuller in the establishment of the former Victoria Chemical Works, the first of its kind in British Columbia and one of the first in Canada.
A native of Blackpool, England, where he was born nearly sixty – three years ago, Col. Hall showed early promise as a brilliant student of chemistry and mathematics and was a gold medalist in chemistry at Owens College, Manchester. After graduating, he lectured in science at the Manchester Polytechnical School and later carried on research work at the Creighton Analine Works in England.
During the early nineties, young Hall, together with Frederick Moore and J.A. Fisher, decided to pursue their fortunes abroad, the flip of a coin making them chose Canada in preference to South Africa or Australia. Shortly after their arrival here they organized and established the Victoria Chemical Works, which grew into a large enterprise, with its plant located at the Outer Wharf. The three friends remained with the firm until it merged with the Canadian Explosives Limited, which is now known as the Canadian Industries Limited, with its plant at James Island. Col. Hall was predeceased by his two partners in the undertaking.
A distinguished scientist, his chemistry research won him world renown, and he was quoted quite frequently and extensively by Lunge, the noted German scientist, in his many works, which are accepted as textbooks to the chemical industry. Col. Hall is quoted particularly on matters dealing with sulphuric acid and alkali, these two chemicals having an important part in the study of heavy chemicals.
In 1905 Col. Hall was made Commanding Officer of the Fifth Regiment, with which he had been associated since 1900, and in 1908 he retired to organize the 88th Fusiliers. In 1913 he commanded the Civil Aid Force, comprising 400 men, which was sent to the coal mining area of Vancouver Island of the riots.
On the outbreak of the war, Col. Hall gave invaluable aid in recruiting troops and in 1915 went overseas as Commander of the 30th Battalion, with which was incorporated the 88th Fusiliers. After a short period in France, the British War Office recalled him for special duty as inspector of all munition plants in Great Britain. Later in the war his duties were increased to include munition plants in Canada. He did considerable chemical research work at Whitechapel for the Munitions Board during the war.
He is survived by his widow here and a sister in England.
The remains are reposing at the Thompson & Fetterly Funeral Home, where the funeral will take place at 10:45 o’clock, Friday morning. The cortege will proceed to St. Paul’s Garrison Church, Esquimalt, where service will be held at 11 o’clock. The body will be sent to Vancouver for cremation.
May 21, 1932
MACHINE GUN TESTS TUESDAY
Competitions Between Eight Regiments on Holiday at Macaulay Fort
The annual machine gun competition for a shield presented in 1925 by the Maytime Celebration Committee will be held on May 24th at 1 o’clock at Fort Macaulay, and will continue during most of the afternoon. The event is expected to attract many spectators.
In addition to teams from three companies of the 11th Machine Gun Battalion, whose representative headquarters are at Victoria, Vancouver and Mission City, teams have been entered from the Canadian Scottish regiment, the Vancouver Regiment, the 1st British Columbia Regiment, the Irish Fusiliers and the Westminster Regiment. The competition will be run on different lines this year as the guns will be actually fired.
In addition to the shield competition there will be a contest between three companies of the 11th machine Gun Battalion for the Underwood Cup. The Shield and Underwood Cup were both won by the Victoria Company last year.
In the event of wet weather the competition will be held at the Armouries.
Regimental Activities of the 17th Fortress Company, Canadian Engineers; the 5th (BC) Coast Brigade, C.A.; the Canadian Scottish, and A Company, 11th Machine Gun Battalion, C.M.G.C., followed in the article.
To quote PPCLI Col. Hugh Niven, M.C., “In 1933, we received a wire from National Defence Headquarters telling me to discharge twenty men as they did not have enough money to pay them. As I had recruited these men, I felt that I had to get them jobs. I got Eatons and Hudson’s Bay Company, Winnipeg, to take them on.”
“In Esquimalt, I applied for $30.00 to buy paint to do the barrack rooms. It was refused by N.D.H.Q. and I had to go to the Navy and beg the paint.”
A number of B Company PPCLI from Work Point attended the Canadian Small Arms School at Sarcee as part of the Instructor Cadre training militia from Western Canada in 1933.
THE ESQUIMALT PATRICIAN
Published quarterly on the 1st day of February, May, August and November. Devoted to the interests of Patricia’s, past and present, in British Columbia and elsewhere. Con’t.
The publications commenced in 1933 at Work Point Barracks, Esquimalt Station, where issues from 1 May, 1934 can be viewd on the PPCLI web site. You will find out what daily life at Work Point Barracks was like and may even find references to your relative’s activities as well ! The publications continued from Work Point to 1938 and then resumed in 1953 from Calgary.
The Esquimalt PATRICIAN
SPORT AT HEAL’S
Softball proved to be of great interest to all concerned, during the recent annual training. At great expense and at the cost of a terrific amount of labour, a backstop was erected in front of the Officer’s Mess, and the diamond laid out. An inter-platoon schedule was played, No. 6 Pl. taking the final honours. Some good games were also played against a local team from Keating’s Cross Roads, who used to trip in after milking to offer their challenge.
GARRISON SOFTBALL LEAGUE
This season saw three teams enter in the garrison Softball League. A series of home and home games was played between R.C.A., P.P.C.L.I., and the Composite. The standing at the end of a series was:
Although a three game playoff was to have been the wind up of the season, only one of these could be played owing to the departure of the P.P.C.L.I. to Heal’s Camp. The result of this game was Composites - 14 and P.P.C.L.I – 12.
It is hoped that it will be possible to finish the playoffs before we start on our way to Comox. Otherwise the above decision will stand and the Cup will go to the Composites who have well and truly earned it.
BURIED WITH FULL MILITARY HONORS
A large congregation attended the military funeral of Private Edward B. Nicholas, which took place yesterday afternoon, Rev. A. Balfour Bruce conducting the service. The hymns sung were: Safe in the Arms of Jesus” and “Nearer my God to Thee.” A profusion of floral tributes were received.
Commanding Officer Colonel H.G. Greer, D.S.T.O., attended, also H. Pearson, representing the Brittania Branch, Canadian Legion; a delegation from Pro Patria Branch, Canadian Legion; and Mrs. W. Ripley, representing Women’s Auxiliary, Pro Patria Branch, Canadian Legion.
The following comrades acted as pall bearers: R. Sampson, L.R. Gibson, S.A. Morrison, S. Rowton, E.S.T. Charters and H.J. Finh.
The remains were conveyed on a gun carriage in charge of Corporal Rowton to Ross Bay Cemetery, where interment took place. The firing squad in charge of Sergt. Walker, R.C.A., fired three volleys and the Last Post was sounded by Sergeant Bates.
CELEBRATION AT ST. PAUL’S
Commemorating the sixty eighth anniversary of St. Paul’s Naval and Garrison Church, Esquimalt, the first parochial union was held yesterday evening with a full attendance of members of the congregation, who gave a generous reception to an excellent musical programme presented by artists of the church and visitors.
Rev Allen Gardiner, the pastor, spoke during the evening, sketching the history of the church since its erection in 1866 at the instigation of Paymaster Sidney J. Spark of the Royal Navy, an interested layman.
Mr. Gardiner explained it had been necessary to rebuild the church in 1904, owing to the growing congregation, the funds for this work being raised from the navy again, as in the first instance. He spoke of the change which occurred in 1906 when the Canadian government undertook the maintenance of its own defences and the Imperial forces at Esquimalt were ordered back to England.
In 1911 the congregation had been increased with the attendance of soldiers from Work Point Barracks, whose place of worship was changed from St. Saviour’s to St. Paul’s.
Mr. Gardiner appealed for support of the church work and urged an increase in those desiring to worship. “We are one big happy family, but we are too loosely knit together,” he said.
Engineer Commander G.L. Stephens acted as master of ceremonies, and the following contributed to the programme: H. Carven, Leading Seaman Percey Swetman, Signalman T. Williams, Mrs. R.P. Matheson, Cpl. Ross, J. Bourke, Sergt. A. Bates, Cpl. J.S. Falconer, Cpl. A.C. Bundock and a male quartette from the Arion Cliub. S. White, R. Rose, A.H. Cox and P. Hughes and Yorkie, ventriloquist. P. H. Hughes was the pianist.
Photo Royal Canadian School of Infantry at Work Point Barracks 1934 (P50-196)
PPCLI “B” Company Daily Orders
GREAT CROWD TURNS OUT TO HONOR KING GEORGE ON JUBILEE
Accession Day Ceremony Here Attended By 15,000 Persons;
THREE CHEERS FOR THE KING
The ceremony at the buildings concluded with a Royal Salute by all the troops and then three cheers for Their Majesties.
The official party next moved to a reviewing stand on Government Street in front of the Empress Hotel to take the march past.
First in the procession were the war veterans, headed by the Canadian Legion band. The Fifth Brigade Band marched by playing “The British Grenadiers” and then came a smart detachment of bluejackets from Esquimalt, followed by the R.G.A. and the Fifth Brigade.
All eyes were on a smart squad of the PPCLI’s in their red uniforms and white pith helmets. Then came the Canadian Scottish with pipe and brass bands and numerous military detachments. (George Wilkinson’s first parade with the 17 Fortress Company C.E.)
Sea cadets, Boy Scouts, Wolf Cubs, Girl Guides and Brownies all took part in the parade. “At the rear was a group of relief camp strikers with banners demanding “work and wages.”
The Lieutenant Governor took the salute from the reviewing stand.
WERE CENTRE OF ALL EYES IN KING’S JUBILEE PARADE
The PPCLI more popularly known as the Princess Pats, are shown at the “stand easy” in front of the Parliament Buildings yesterday. “The Pats” in their scarlet tunics and sun helmets “stole the show.” In the march past in front of the Empress Hotel their crisp step and formation were highly commented upon and applauded. (Wolsey helmets)
OLD SOLDIER PASSES AWAY
Major Andrew Mulcahy Succumbs at Residence Here – Funeral Wednesday
Major Andrew Mulcahy, aged seventy-five years, died yesterday, at his home, 1007 Esquimalt road.
Major Mulcahy was well known to school boys of twenty years ago in his capacity of cadet instructor for city school from 1909 to 1912. He was also prominent in municipal politics, having held the post of school trustee in Esquimalt for a number of years.
Major Mulcahy was born in Dublin, Ireland, and had resided here for forty-eight years. He was attached to the garrison artillery for many years, entering its service in Quebec in 1880, and served as a sergeant in the Riel Rebellion of 1885.
SENT TO VICTORIA
Major Mulcahy returned to Kingston following that campaign, and was appointed a sergeant instructor. Shortly after, he was sent to Victoria with “C” Battery to organize a garrison here.
He was a sergeant major of the force sent north from Victoria on H.M.S. Caroline to suppress an Indian uprising in the Skeena River district, but, according to records, there was no fighting, the Indians fleeing at the sight of the red coats.
“C” Battery was recalled to Quebec in 1903, and Sergeant Major Mulcahy was transferred to the Fifth regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery Corps, a month after his return east as Sergeant Major Instructor. He was identified with the Fifth regiment, which later became the Canadian garrison Artillery, until 1906, and was one of the five who represented the regiment at the coronation of King Edward VII. In May, 1910, he was granted a commission. Five years later he was appointed a captain, and on his retirement in 1919, he was gazetted a major.
Major Mulcahy is survived by his widow and one daughter, Miss Kathleen Mulcahy, at home; six sons, P.J., W.A., A.M., and R.I. Mulcahy, here; O.R. Mulcahy, in Deluth, and A. J. Mulcahy, in Whaletown, B.C.; and eleven grandchildren. (Kathleen taught at Lampson Street school).
Military honors will be accorded the late soldier. Mass will be celebrated by Rev. A.B. Wood at the church of Our Lady Queen of Peace, Esquimalt, Wednesday morning at 10 o’clock. Arrangements are being directed by Sands Mortuary Ltd.
December 19, 1935
MAJOR MULCAHY LAID TO REST
The funeral of Major Andrew Mulcahy, who passed away at the family residence, 1007 Esquimalt road, last Monday morning, took place yesterday morning in the Church of Our Lady Queen of Peace. Rev. Father A.B. Wood celebrated mass, assisted by William and Allan Mulcahy, grandsons of the deceased, who acted as alter boys.
Relatives and the very large gathering of friends were present and the many beautiful flowers testified to the high esteem of respect in which Major Mulcahy was held.
The honorary pall bearers were William Simpson, Captain Prevost, J.T. Redding, Colonel Holmes, Walter Adams, B.B. Temple, Colonel Andros and Colonel Lorne Ross.
The active pall bearers were Master Gunner W.H. Mitchell, Q.M.S. R.A. Wilcox, B.Q.M.S. W. Walker, Sergeants J. Middleton, T.C. Eastick, J.D. Fraser, A.C. Ross and W. Fraser. (Beefie Eastick, Flossie Fraser, who later became Sergeant of the Detention Barracks)
The casket, which was draped with the Union Jack, was placed on the gun carriage and escorted to the Military Cemetery, Esquimalt, where interment was made.