by Jack Bates

PART 5 — 1919 to 1939


Daily Colonist
January 1, 1919


Colonel Cockburn and Major Ritchie Departing
With Next Siberian Troops for Vladivostok

Colonel L.W.S. Cockburn and Major H. Ritchie, who have been appointed on instructional duty under the War Office to the C.E.F. (Siberia), will be leaving shortly for Vladivostok to commence their duties there. Major Ritchie has commanded the R.C.R.E., Esquimalt, for the last four years, and Colonel Cockburn the R.C.G.A. These two officers will probably leave with the next draft of Siberian troops that will go to Vladivostok, and Capt. Hendy, assistant A.A.G. is at present in Vancouver arranging for the departure of some details, a number or reinforcements for the machine gun section, being now on their way to the coast.


The annual official New Year’s Day receptions will be held today, with the exception of hat by the Mayor, who is out of town. At Government House the Honorable J.A. Macdonald, administrator in the absence of His Honor the Lieutenant Governor, will receive from 2 to 6 p.m.

At the Legislative Buildings the Premier and members of the Cabinet, with their wives, will hold the annual reception in the Connaught Library; Major General R.G. Edwards Leckie, C.M.G., G.O.C., and staff officers will receive at Work Point Barracks. At Bishopsclose Right Rev. the Bishop of Columbia and Mrs. Schofield will be at home in the afternoon.

No reception will be held at the Esquimalt Convalescent Hospital today but on Saturday Major Bapty and the staff will receive, and the occasion will mark the launching of the motor boat built by the convalescents from materials supplied by the Red Cross. Mrs. Henry Croft is to be the sponsor at the launching ceremony.

January 7, 1919

Held on Serious Charge

Charged withunlawfully harboring an absconding ward of the Children’s Aid Socirty, Ernest Langivan was arrested yesterday afternoon in a small cottage near Work Point Barracks by Detective Heather and is now at police headquarters. He will be arraigned in the police court this morning. It is alleged that on Friday night last an 18 year old girl who had been placed by the Children’s Aid Society with a family residing in the Fairfield district ran away from the place in company with Langevin. Search for the girl resulted in her being located in the cottage near the barracks, where she had been staying since she disappeared on Friday. The girl, also taken by the detective, is being held at the Children’s Aid Home.

January 19, 1919


Sergt. A. Mulcahy, now Sergt. Major, Wounded Sept. 2,
He Went Back Again to France

Sergt. A. Mulcahy son of Capt. Mulcahy, of Esquimalt, has been promoted to Sergeant Major.

“Alec’s” many friends will be pleased to hear that the gunshot wound he received in the head on Sept. 2 did not prove as serious as expected, his life being saved by his helmet. He was back again on his gun at the taking of Cambrai, and while firing a barrage from no man’s land was again slightly wounded by a shrapnel splinter which struck him in the face. The wound was bound up and he stayed with his gun. The Sergt. Major of his battery having been killed, he was promoted on the field to fill the vacancy. He is now in Germany and hoping that they will soon be sent home. His brother Andrew is also in Germany. During the last engagement before the signing of the armistice a plane dropped a bomb which missed his battery but fell on the battery on his flank killing five men and 13 horses. His battery was inspected at Bonn while on the march by Lt. General Currie on December 2nd. The general recognized an old comrade from the 5th Regiment and courteously stepped in and shook hands with him, making enquiries about his family. Gunners Owen and Robert were in England when the armistice was signed, and are expected home on the SS Asia.

January 31, 1919


Terms of Enlistment in Garrison Battalion Will be Same as For C.E.F.
Duration One Year

Returned soldiers of the Canadian Expeditionary Force who are anxious to return to the army for a time are to be given the opportunity to do so. Announcement is made by Major general Leckie, G.O.C., that recruits are wanted for the Garrison Battalion, for the Engineers, the Army Service Corps and the Army Medical Corps, and a number of clerks are also required for the Pay Corps. The terms of enlistment, it is stated, will be the same as for the C.E.F.and a year.

Those of the returned men who have had tim to see their families and other friends since returning from overseas and who have not yet settled into any new occupation may find the opportunity for re-enlistment for temporary service to their taste, and when their year’s service has expired will be given the option of joining the permanent force if they wish to take up soldiering as a profession. By enlisting in any of the openings offered they will be releasing men who have been waiting to be relieved from their present military duties to return to civilian occupations.

Applications for admission to the Garrison Battalion should be made to the O.C., Work Point barracks; those wishing to enter the Pay Corps should see the district paymaster; those applying for the Engineers should submit their names to Major Lowden, Belmont House. One company of the Garrison Battalion is to be stationed in Vancouver and one company at Victoria, and men whose homes are in these districts will probably be given the option of enlisting with the company attached to that district.

March 5, 1919


Routine Order Affecting Re-Constitution of Permanent Forces
Names Term of Enlistment of Two Years

Detailed particulars concerning the reconstitution of the Permanent Forces came from Ottawa to Military Headquarters yesterday in Routine Orders, and through this it is learned that each permanent force shall be reconstituted at an establishment not exceeding 5,000 men – its composition, establishment and disposition of the component units to be left to the discretion of the Minister of Militia in Council.

“The term of enlistment shall be for a period of two years, re-engagement being permitted within authorized establishments,’says the order in council. The raises of pay and allowances authorized for officers, non-commissioned officers and men of the C.E.F., shall be paid to the members of the Permanent Force according to their task or appointments therein.

The Permanent Force shall be composed of cavalry: Royal Canadian Dragoons, regimental headquarters and two squadrons, and Lord Strathcona’s Horse (Royal Canadians), same establishment as Dragoons; Artillery; Royal Canadian Horse Artillery, (a regimental headquarters and five companies – four coast defence companies and one heavy battery); Royal Canadian Engineers (two fortress companies); Infantry: Royal Canadian Regiment (a regimental headquarters and five companies), and Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, (a regimental headquarters and and four companies).

Detachments of the Canadian Permanent Army Service Corps, the Canadian Permanent Army Corps, the Canadian Permanent Army Veterinary Corps, the Canadian Permant Army Ordnance Corps, the Canadian Permant Army Pay Corps, and the Military Staff Clerks, will be formed as required.

R.C.G.A. at Victoria

In connection with the orders relating to the organization of thee re-constituted permanent force, it will be of most interest to people here to see that the Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery and the Royal Canadian Engineers will be organized at Victoria, among the places mentioned. The following information is given re organization:

The C.E.F. Regiment, Royal Canadian Dragoons will be demobilized into a permanent unit and reorganized at Toronto.

The C.E.F. Lord Strathcona’s Horse (Royal Canadians) will be demobilized into a permant unit and reorganized at Calgary.

The C.E.F. Brigade, Royal Canadian Horse Artillery, will be demobilized into a permant unit and reorganized at Kingston.

The Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery will be reorganized at Halifax, Quebec and Victoria.

The Royal Canadian Engineers will be reorganized at Halifax and Victoria.

The C.E.F. Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment, will be demobilized into a permanent unit and reorganized at Halifax.

The C.E.F. Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry will be demobilized at Ottawa, and the permanent regiment will be reorganized at Toronto, from whence companies will be moved later to their allotted stations.


A limited number of commissions will be open to the permanent force. The standard of military and educational qualifications must be high. An applicant must have had service in the theatre of operations of the last war.

It is to be noted that further to requests from the Government of Quebec and Quebec City, the 22nd Battalion (CEF) moved to the Citadel of Quebec in 1920 and established its garrison there. Later it was redesignated the Royal 22nd Regiment, the “Van Doos” and became the standard bearers for francophones in the Candaina Forces.

New Soldier’s Manual (Printed 1970 +)


On 20 March, 1919, the Regiment was selected to form part of Canada’s “peace time” army to be called the Permanent Active Militia, more commonly known as the Permanent Force.

The Regiment’s Headquarters, “A” and “D” Company were located at Fort Osborne Barracks in Winnipeg, Manitoba in April, 1920. “B” Company was located at Esquimalt, British Columbia.

Photo. B Coy Esquimalt 1921 73 All Ranks

The years between the wars were lean ones for the Canadican Militia, both Permanent and Non-permanent. It was a period of official neglect and ever decreasing establishments. By 1924 the Regiment had been reduced to 209 all ranks. Patricia’s were concentrated at Sarcee Camp, Alberta to carry out battalion training on only four occasions during those twenty years.

Each summer the Winnipeg companies went to camp, first to Camp Hughes and later to Camp Shilo to carry out company training. On the west coast, “B” Company trained at Heal’s Range and other points on Vancouver Island.

Each year the Regiment was called on to provide instructors and to conduct qualifying courses for officers and non-commissioned officers of the Non-permanent Active Militia. Instructors were also provided for contingents of the Canadian Officers Training Corps at the universities of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

Photo. Guard Duty – Work Point Barracks 1938.

Daily Colonist
March 30, 1919


“C” Company of the 11th Garrison Regiment Has Vacancies for Instructors
Enlistment Term Not Long

With the increasing number of men who are returning to be demobilized there will no doubt, be many who have definite occupations to which to return at once; others will have found life in the army so congenial that they would prefer to give it a longer trial, and for those men a splendid uplifting is afforded with “C” Company of the 11th Canadian Garrison Regiment, stationed at Work Point Barracks, which has vacancies for a considerable number of men of the right stamp to sign on for a period of one year or longer if desired.

Men with overseas service are particularly desired, and there will be vacancies for instructors in musketry, machine gunnery, etc which would naturally be filled by men who have had the necessary experience. In addition to returned soldiers, it is hoped that the company will be able to take on a considerable number of young men who, on account of their youth or for other reasons, have been unable to proceed overseas.

Option of Discharges

It is pointed out for the benefit of the prospective recruit that at the expiration of the year he will have the option either of obtaining his discharge or of re-enlisting in either of the same organizations (if, in existence) or in some unit of the Permanent Force. For the man who has been away from the country for some time and has lost his touch with affairs, this is a great opportunity, as the short term of engagement allows a man to carry on with a familiar type of work until some suitable civil occupation is found.

Since publicity was first given to this subject some ten days ago, a considerable number of men have availed themselves of the opportunity afforded. But there is still room for a limited number to bring the company up to establishment.

Pay Favorable

There is a popular fallacy that the pay offered by the army is too small to allow a man to live in any degree of comfort, but a comparison of actual figures will readily show that as a paying profession the army compares very favorably with any others. Take the case of an unmarried private. He receives in actual cash $23 a month. In addition he receives free quarters and rations, which at the present cost of living are equal to at least $35 per month. Clothing, at a very conservative estimate, would amount to another $7 per month, making a total of $75 per month. Medical attention also is readily available and entirely free, and a man admitted to hospital continues to draw pay in full during such period. A married man as well as the above amount receives $30 per month in cash for his family, making a total of $ 105 per month, which can be rated as good pay when it is considered that the working day is about five hours.

As this unit has only recently been formed, there are still a numberof vacancies in the non-commissioned ranks, and promotion, where deserved, will as a consequence be rapid.

April 17, 1919


Social Function to be Held on April 23, at the Fives Court,
Work Point Barracks, by Esquimalt Chapter

The new Esquimalt High School Cadet Corps will benefit from the proceeds of the dance to be given on the evening of April 23 in the fives court, Work Point Barracks, by the Esquimalt Chapter, I.O.D.E. The event is of great unique interest, as not since the outbreak of the war in August, 1914, has this onc populr rendezvous been used for social events of this kind, and it is probably one of the last at the same place at which any large number of the military who took their share in the great happenings of the past four and a half years will be present.

There was a meeting on Tuesday evening of the I.O.D.E. chapter which has the arrangements in hand, and the following committee were nominated to take charge of the general plans for the dance from this point forward: Mesdames Belson, Ritchie, Sisman, Wright, Warder, McTavish and Bessonette.

Dancing is to commence at 8:30, and will continue until 1o’clock, and as Mr. Mylrea’s excellent orchestra has been engaged to supply the music this very important feature of the entertainment is in excellent hands. Tckets nmay be purchased from any member of the Esquimalt Chapter, I.O.D.E., or at the door on the evening of the dance, and it is hoped that everyone will bear the date in mind and make an effort to be present. The chapter has already done very commendable work in connection with the Cadets, which are their very special interest, and it is hoped that the proceeds from this undertaking will enable the ladies still further to assist the new corps.

April 24, 1919


Two Auto Thieves Turned Over to Authorities Tuesday
Third Man Not Caught Yet

Nanaimo, April 23 – The city police today handed over to a military escort from Victoria, two of the three soldiers who deserted on Saturday from Work Point Barracks, Victoria, and escaped in an automobile which they stole from outside the Central Apartments, Princess Avenue, the same evening, travelling northwards on the Island Highway, and eventually reaching Nanaimo.

Both prisoners are mere boys, one, Charles Bull, being 18 and the other, Thomas E. Taylor, being only 16 years of age. Both belong to Vancouver, and deserted from the 14th C.G.R. The third man has not yet been located. Mr. Rex Cooper found the car on the outskirts of the city and took it to his garage, reporting the matter to the city police. The car was in good condition but out of gasoline.

Bull was arrested while trying to board the Princess Patricia for Vancouver, and his companion gave himself up to the police. Another car is reported as having been stolen from Victoria, a five passenger Ford, number 7950.

May 6, 1919


Monteagle Brought Back First Contingent of Troops From Vladivostok
Yesterday – Men Talk of Their Experiences, Which Were Not
Enlivened by Fighting – Those Landed Here

With decks and rigging covered with Canadian soldiers returning home from Siberia, the C.P.O.S. liner Monteagle steamed into the outer docks yesterday afternoon, bringing home 1,026 men and 56 officers and a commencing a troop movement that will within a month or so remove all Canadians from Siberia.

Men For The Island

Although the ship was not expected to arrive until today, word got around that she had reached Quarantine Station, and a crowd had gathered upon the docks to greet friends and relatives among the boys. As the vessel moved slowly in roar after roar came to the people on the wharf, and they replied in kind. Several buglers from the forces at Macaulay Point stood on the rocks near McLoughlin Point and sent out a welcome across the water.

Following is a list of the officers and men for the island who left the Monteagle here:

Lt. Col. Tooley, Capt. Allan, Capt. Brown, Capt. G.C. Kenning, Capt. Askey and Capt. R.R. Struhers. Sergt. A.J. Cantwell, Sergt. L.W. Frayer, Sergt. Major J.G. Gillan, Sergt. W.P. Joule, Sergt. J.A. Matheson, Sergt. J.D. McKenzie-Naughton, Company Sergt. Major H.W. Sanders, Sergt. Major F.W. Wilmot, Cpl. T.G.W. Coventry, Cpl. C. Croft, J.W. Carmichael, F. Cheetham, F.J. Craven, R.E. Dennis, A.G. Dovson, A. Dixon, E.H. Fisher, V.C. Graham, A. Graves, J.C. Gydosic, K.M. Hanley, H. Hannahan, B.W. Hewartson, J.C. Herbe, A.W. Mark, W. Masson, J.R. McKinnon, F.R. Peterson ,G.R. Pitzer, H.B. Purdy, R. Recce, J.H. Russell, J.A. Radd, F.A.B. Ross, T. Spouse, G. Stephen, E.A. Stice, J. Watson, W. Worswick, E.A. Young, R.G.N. Younghusband, W.M. Thomas, D.E. Eaton.

Sick Cases

The total number of sick cases for the whole of Canada among the 1,072 troops landed yesterday is 165. Of this number only a dozen or so actually belong to Military District No. 11, although the number to be retained in Britsh Columbia for treatment will be nearly twice that. One special case taken off was a pneumonia who will be cared for at Esquimalt; eleven cases go to the hospital at Macaulay Point. These constitute practically the whole of the British Columbia patients, although eight cases of mumps are to be taken to the isolation hospital aat Hastings Park until the men arewell and able to travel to their homes in other parts of Canada, without fear of infection to others.


May 8, 1919


The Esquimalt Gun Club will meet tonight at 512 Constance Avenue, Esquimalt, at 8:30, when the election of officers for the year will take place and plans be made for the season. The club has already held a couple of pravtice shoots and prospects look good for a busy season.

May 11, 1919


The 88th battalion Suffered Heavy Casualties During War
Meeting to Form Association on Tuesday Night

There should be a good representation of old 88th Battalion and 88th Victoria Fusiliers members at the meetin that is to be held on Tuesday night in the board room of Belmont House with a view to the formation of an association. The old 88th regiment, which was in existence for some years before the outbreak of the war in 1914 and had already furnished men for military duty in connection with the Nanaimo strike in the spring of 1913, sent some of the first men overseas that went from this city. Nearly every man who was a member of the regiment responded to the call, and a detachment was called for to guard the wireless and cable station at Pachena Point and at Bamfield. Then the call came for volunteers for the first contingent, and almost to a man, the regiment volunteered. All could not go, but some of the finest men were picked and sent to Valcartier, where they were absorbed in the 7th Battalion and other units, the majority however, went to the Seventh.

Thirtieth Formed

Then came the formation of the 30th Battalion, which went overseas in February, 1915, taking in its ranks the majority of the remaining members of the 88th Fusiliers, although, it will be recalled, a number of the men went a month earlier with the company detached from the 30th to reinforce the Pats. This left Victoria in January, 1915, under the command of Capt. Moorhead and Capt. Carew Martin.

Still the 88th Fusiliers acted as a recruiting agency, supplying a large number of men for the 48th Battalion, which went overseas in the early summer of 1915 in command of Lt. Col. Holmes. The 42nd Battalion also received a large draft from the 88th, and a small number were transferred to the 67th Western Scots and to the First Canadian Pioneers.

Formed 88th

The numerical name was to be perpetuated in a better way, however, this being when the 88th Overseas Battalion was organized. Into this the remaining members of the 88th Fusiliers who were physically fit were absorbed. The 88th battalion, however, was split up in England, and various drafts were sent to the 1st Pioneers, which took something in the neighborhood of 100 men; the 2nd and 3rd and 4th Pioneers took 200 men; and the remainder of the regiment ultimately found its way into various infantry battalions and some were held at the reserve battalions, Shorncliffe.

Lieut. Herbert Boggs, the first Canadian officer to give his life for the Empire, was an original officer of the 88th Fusiliers. Other original officers whwo were killed soon after reaching France were Lieut. Harvey, warden of the University School, and Lieut. Jack Bromley. When the proposed association is an established organization it is intended that a suitable honour roll will be kept of the officers and men who gave their lives in the service of their country during the Great War.

Band Kept Intact

It is interesting in connection with the 88th Battalion to recall that the band of the unit, mostly composed of original members of the force, was one of the very few Canadian Bands that was kept intact in France, being known as the First Divisional Band, by the expressed wish, it is stated, of General Sir Arthur Currie. Among both officers and men who went from the 88th the casualties were very heavy, but although many were killed many lived to return, and more are still on their way back and should reach home in the near future. It is hoped that the proposed association will be one of the strongest ex-servicemans organizations in the Province.

July 27, 1919


William Atkinson Was Given Three Months in Jail for Second Offence
His Pica

Pte. William F. Atkinson, charged in the police court yesterday morning with desertion from the 2nd Depot Battalion, was sentenced to three months in jail by Magistrate R.C. Lowe, making a plea for leniency on the ground that the accused was a low category man and not capable of going overseas.

This was not the first time that Atkinson deserted. He joined the 103rd Battalion in December 1915, and just before that battalion left for overseas the following May he deserted. In March of last year he was arrested and charged, but on his promise to be a good soldier he was allowed out on suspended sentence. On April 29, 1918, he was again arrested, but broke away from his escort. He was at liberty until last week, when he was again arrested.

Atkinson, in testifying yesterday in his own behalf, said he had tried to enlist in both the 48th and 88th battalions but had been rejected. He said that after joining the 2nd Depot Battalion he was placed in category D-3, but the board marked him B-2. Subsequently he was informed on parade by a sergeant that he was in class A-2 and had to attend all parades. He was unable to stand the strain and he was placed in the permanent sanitary fatigue. His movements were not watched and finally, he said, he walked away from the camp.

August 1, 1919


Vancouver, July 31. - At 12 noon today the 11th Canadian garrison regiment to all intents and purposes ceased to exist as an active unit. All the officers and men have been demobilized except three of the headquarters officers and the orderly room staff, who will have charge of winding up the affairs of the regiment. As there are a number of soldiers who are guards at Vernon carried on the rolls, the life of the unit will depend on the length of time the internment camp is kept open.

Twenty-five men were demobilized on Wednesday afternoon, and eight were sent to the permanent company of the P.P.C.L.I at Victoria. Today twelve officers and the remainder of the men were mustered out.

The 11th C.G.R. was formed on May 1, 1918 for general garrison duty in Vancouver. Lieut. Col. R.C. Cooper, M.P., was appointed officer commanding, and he had associated with him Major R.G. Montieth as second in command; Capt. J.T. Underhill, adjutant; Capt. E.J. McGuire, quartermaster; and Capt. T.S. Annandale, paymaster.

Major Montieth, Capt. McGuire and Lieut. Fraser, the present adjutant, have been retained on the strength, and will superintend the winding up of the affairs of the regiment.

The eight men transferred in July to PPCLI in Esquimalt joined “D” Company after demobilization. In August 1919 Major Ten Broeke MC, escorted his skeleton of “D” Company PPCLI, 41 strong, from Work Point Barracks to Toronto. He had been sent to Esquimalt in May to make a start on that company. It was later disbanded.

September 10, 1919


The Esquimalt Gun Club is holding a practice shoot tonight, the last of the season, at their traps at Admirals Road beginning at 6 o’clock.

September 11, 1919


Two Battleships, Acompanied by Destroyers, are Bringing Secretary of U.S. Navy
and Admiral Rodman Here

The Vanguard of the United States Pacific Fleet, represented by the dreadnoughts New Mexico and Arkansas, the former bearing the flag of Admiral Hugh Rodman, and the latter carrying Hon. Josephus Daniel, Secretary of the United Staes Navy, and his party, will reach the outer harbor about 2 o’clock this afternoon.

Mr. Daniels wired Mayor Porter yesterday, stating that the warships would reach Port Angeles at 9 this morning and that they would remain there until noon. The New Mexico and Arkansas, escorted by four or five destroyers, will then steam across the Straits and anchor off the Ogden Point breakwater.

Royal Salute

The boom of twenty one guns – the Royal Salute – by the American ships will mark the first formality of the visit to Victoria. The Saluting Battery at Work Point Barracks will reply, first with the Royal Salute and then with nineteen rounds in honor of Admiral Rodman.

Shortly after the men-of-war drop anchor the patrol boat Restless, carrying the official reception party headed by Premier John Oliver, will leave the harbor and will visit both warships. Premier Oliver, acting not only as head of the Provincial Government, but also as reprentative of Lieut. Governor Sir Francis Barnard, who is out of the city, will extend to Mr. Daniels and to Admiral Rodman Victoria’s welcome to the fleet.

Official Courtendes

Captain Martyn, C.M.G., R.N., after exchanging calls with the commander-in-chief of the American Fleet, will make a personal visit to the New Mexico and Arkansas in his plumper. The official reception party will include the premier and several of his cabinet ministers, Mayor Porter and aldermen, Mr. R.B. Mosher, United States Consul, and Mr. John Cochrane, president of the Canadian Club.

Shortly after the welcome has been extended and the patrol booat has returned to Victoria, Mr. Daniels and Admiral Rodman will come ashore in company with their personal party and about 24 officers, and will return the welcoming courtesy by an official call upon Premier Oliver at his office in the Parliament Buildings. Cars have been engaged to take the party on a tour of the city and the surrounding district during the afternoon from 2 o’clock until 5.

Will Act as Ferry

The steamer Island Princess ill be operated between the Outer Docks and the warships during the afternoon between the hours of 2 and 4, for the convenience of the general public. The steamer will make trips at half hour intervals, the carrying capacity for each trip being 140 passengers. At 6:30 o’clock in the Empress Hotel Mr. Daniels will addres the Canadian Club. About 600 members will attend. Tickets admitting members of the Women’s Canadian Club will be on sale at Fletcher’s music store this morning from 10 o’clock until noon, if any are remaining.


Canadian Commander Welcomed at Hamilton and Advises Some Moderation
In Matter of War Gratuities

Hamilton, Sept. 10 – General Sir Arthur Currie, the Canadian Commander, who was reeived with open arms by this city today, stated that while he sympathized with the veterans in their efforts to secure a more liberal allowance, he thought the $2,000 gratuity asked would prove too great a burden or the country to bear. The veteran’s plea to have a commission appointed to arbitrate their claims was reasonable, he said, and should receive consideration. He was in favor of generos pensions and said the present pension regulations would have to be readjusted.

General and Lady Currie were received at the G.T.R station by Sir John Gibson, Colonel Rennie and Lt. Col. W.D. Farnum. There was a guard of honor made up principally of veterans from the 16th Battalion under Sergt. Major Anderson. A civic address was presented to Sir Arhtur and in reply he said he would never fotget the welcome given them by Hamilton. He spoke highly of the work of Major General Sir Edward Morrison formerly of this city and Hon. S.C. Mewburn of Hamilton.

After the city hall reception, Sir Arthur and Lady Currie were the guests at luncheon of Sir John and Lady Gibson.

September 13, 1919 (5)


Seventeen Medals, etc, Won by Victoria Men
Will Be Given to Veterans or Relatives Here


His Royal Highness Will be in Leading Motor Car in Processions
In Which He Appears, It Is Announced.

September 28, 1919


HRH Prince of Wales and Hosts at Military Luncheon
... run cursor over photo to zoom image ...

Sitting from left to right - Lt. Col. David Donald, A.D.M.S.; Lt. Col. F.W. Moore; Lt. Col. C.C. Bennett, D.S.O.; Major General R.G.E. Leckie, C.M.G., G.O.C.; His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales, K.G.; Captain E.H. Martin, R.N.; Lt. Col. T.F. Homer Dixon, D.S.O.; Lt. Col. C.B. Russell, D.S.O.; Lt. Col. A.T. Ogilvie, D.S.O.; Standing from left to right – Col. J. Peters; Lt. Col. I.W.S. Cockburn; Lt. Col. R. Angus; Capt. H.R. Hendy; Major G. Sisman; Hon. Martin Burrell; Capt. The Hon. P.W. Legh; rear Admiral Sir Lionel Halsey, K.C.M.G., Chief of Staff to His Royal Highness; Lt. Col. E.W.M. Grigg, C.M.G., D.S.O., M.C.; Commander Dudley North, C.M.G.; Major N.C. Sherman; Lt. Col. Renaud; Lt W.F. Clark, M.C.; Lt. A. Magann and Capt. H. Westmoreland. The above photograph taken at Work Point Barracks on Wednesday afternoon following the ceremonies at the Parliament Buildings and the military luncheon, shows the Prince of Wales in the uniform of a colonel of the Welsh Guards, and with his characteristic smile.

Daily Colonist
October 9, 1919

New Clubhouse Will Be Opened Saturday
Special Mixed Foursome Competition Arranged

Saturday afternoon next will see the formal opening of the new clubhouse which has recently been completed at the United Services Golf Club links at Esquimalt. The new club house, which was a much needed improvement, has been built with the chief end in view of convenience and efficiency, and, though not designed on luxurious lines, will provide comfortable accommodation for the membership of this popular club, which has grown very rapidly recently. The house was built mostly by the labor of members, and does to their skill and energy.

To celebrate the opening, the committee has arranged for a special mixed foursome competition for which it is providing prizes, and so far thirty-two entries for this foursome have been received. At the recent annual meeting of the club, the following officers were elected for the ensuing year: Hon. President, Capt. E.H. Martin, R.N., C.M.G.; President, Mr. Arthur Coles; Vice-President, Mr. G.T. Fox; Hon. Secretary, Mr. J. M. Wood; Captain, Mr. H. Collings.

November 4, 1919


Miss Anna E. Hurst, Three Years Ago in Charge at Work Point Hospital
Returns After Serving With C.A.M.C.

Any soldiers who were patients at Work Point Hospital three years ago will remember Nursing Sister Anna E. Hurst, who was in charge of the institution for some time prior to her departure overseas in November, 1916. She has just returned to Victoria, glad to be home again although by no means regretful of her experiences and the opportunity she was afforded to serve in hospitals nearer the scene of fighting during the war.

Miss Hurst, after arriving in England three years ago remained on duty there for a short time before she was sent over to nurse at No. 10 Canadian Stationary Hospital, France. The hospitals at which she nursed in England during the war were Brighton and Orpington; since the cessation of hostilities she was on duty for a period at Buxton.

It was October before she returned to Canada, and just two weeks ago she was demobilized at Toronto. Her home in Victoria is at 2653 Grahame Street, where she is receiving messages of greeting from the numerous friends who are glad to welcome her home again after her long absence.

Nursing Sister Hurst before leaving Europe was privileged to visit some previously occupied by the Germans, of the Belgian and French areas.

December 27 1919


Six Possibles Made at Saturday’s Practice Shoot – Shoot on Wednesday

The Esquimalt Rifle Club held its weekly practice shoot at the miniature range on Saturday afternoon, and some exceptionally good scores were completed, there being six possibles made, which is very good indeed for so young a club. The club will hold its weely spoon shoot om Wednesday evening next, as usual, commencing at 8 o’clock. The scores are as follows:

K.H. Braney 35
J. MacDonal 35
H. Baker 35
W.A. Gourlay 35
A.R.Wolfenden 35
Mr. Allen 35
A. Potts 35
S.H. Ellis 35
J. McAdam 34
G.S. MacTavish 34
H. Piper 32
F.J. Rittacourt 32
Mr. Greaves 32
S. Heald 32
Mr. Nicholson 28

continued ...