HISTORY OF WORK POINT BARRACKS
by Jack Bates
PART 5 — 1919 to 1939
CLANCY WAS MEMBER OF PRINCESS PATS
Boston. Jan. 2 - A gunman who killed patrolman William Clancy, who objected to his actions at a dance in the Charleston district today, was still at large this afternoon.
The police held 300 dancers, women and men for several hour’s examination, eventually detaining four men for further enquiry, but it is believed the man who shot the officer had escaped.
Officer Clancy was a member of the Princess Patricia’s Canadian regiment, had gained decorations for bravery in action, and was shot down in the centre of the dance floor after he had admonished the man who had disobeyed his orders to stop smoking.
A patrolman who was present as a guest drew his revolver and held the crowd back from the door. Many however, fled by a rear exit and by fire excapes. Clancy’s assailant probably being among them.
Unfortunately I cannot find a record of him with the PPCLI.
September 8, 1920
GENERAL MORRISON’S INSPECTION TOUR
Commanding Officer of Canadian Artillery Force in Great War Now in City
On his annual trip of inspection, Major General Sir Edward Morrison, K.C.B., arrived in Victoria yesterday and today will commence an inspection of the forts of artillery personnel of Esquimalt. Last evening he was a guest of members of the G.W.V.A. at the gathering at the Princess Theatre and tonight he will be the guest of the Artillery and Permanent Force officers at Work Point Barracks.
General Morrison stated last evening that his present visit possessed no particular significance other than the customary inspection which is made annually. Concerning the dispatch from Vancouver that a company of the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, is due at Work Point barracks from Winnipeg, General Morrison stated he was not aware of the matter, but as he has been away from Ottawa for some time now, the move, if it is to be made, apparently was decided upon since he left Ottawa.
General Morrison has had a distinguished military career. He served through the South Africn War, where he gained the D.S.O., and in the Great War he served with great distinction with the Canadian forces.
Major Wendell Shaw, who was with General Morrison from the days of Valcartier, speaks of him as “a man’s man.” Starting off as senior Artillery Brigadier, commanding the First Brigade, C.F.A., he won the highest point of achievement, that of C.R.A., Canadian Corps. Dogged to a degree, brilliant in his administrative capacity, thoroughly au fait with artillery tactics, he went up the ladder by leaps and bounds. At the second Battle of Ypres, Majoe Shaw states, and throughout the war, General Morrison showed the quality which his men loved and admired, that of “nerve.”On several occasions, in exposed positions, he personally directed the fire of batteries and always with entire disregard of personal danger. His presence here will be welcomed by his old officers and men.November 26, 1920
PRINCESS PATS ARE HERE FOR GARRISON
Detachment of Officers and Men of Regiment Arrive
A detachment of the Princess Pats who are to be stationed at Work Point Barracks have arrived in the city from London, Ont., under the command of Lieut. Col. Codville, M.C.
Altogether including officers and other ranks, the addition to the strength here will be sixty-four men. A number of the recruits are staying at hotels temporarily until arrangements are completed at their new quarters. Sergt. Lennox, Mrs. Lennox and family, Sergt. Spanton, Mrs. Spanton and family, and a number of the men are registered at the Douglas Hotel.
The commanding officer, Lieut. Col. Codville, is a regular, having formerly belonged to the Royal Canadian Dragoons, while Major Clarke, who came here in advance to make the necessary arrangements for the men, is one of the few remaining original officers of the famous Princes Patricia regiment.
PRINCESS PATS HAVE ARRIVED FROM EAST
Company is to be Stationed at Work Point Barracks – Many Veterans
In command of Col. F.H.M. Codville, M.C., of London, Ontario, a company of the Princess pats arrived in Victoria on Thursday afternoon. The company arrived in full service kits and proceeded to work Point barracks, where they will be stationed.
The “Princess Pats” now have only three companies of a peace strength of about 150 men per company. Two companies are at Winnipeg, and the third company will be permanently located at Victoria. Col. F.M.H. Codvile, M.C., formerly commandant of Baxhill School, is in charge of the detachment, and second in command is Capt. J.S. Woods, M.C.
Among the men a large sprinkling of overseas decorations were noted. One sergeant has the D.C.M., M.M., 1914-15 Star, and the usual campaign ribbons. Practically all the men are young, but wound stripes are not unusual. The company is not up to strength, and the officers intimated that probably they would do some recruiting in the Province after they have settled down in their new quarters at Victoria.
PRINCESS PATRICIA COLORS SENT HOME
Winnipeg: Dec. 23 – The colors of the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, carried by the Regiment throughout the war, have been sent to the Colonel in Chief, Lady Ramsay, formerly Princess Patricia of Connaught, at Clarence House, for a reproduction which she will pserconally make.
While being carried in action furied, the colors were hit by a bullet, which penetrated them five times, and on another occasion, the staff was struck by shrapnel. So worn were the colors when sent to Lady Ramsay that they could scarcely hold together.
The colors will be returned to the famous Regiment, now at Winnipeg.
My father, Alfred Arthur Bates, enlisted in “B” Company of the PPCLI on January 25, 1921, at Esquimalt’s Work Point Barracks. He was to serve at the barracks with “B” Company until posted to Currie Barracks in Calgary Alberta, on November 20, 1937, returning to Work Point August 14, 1945.
Now that “B” Company of the PPCLI is established at Work Point, daily routines, much a carry over from the disciplines of the war, kept everyone busy and occupied. Bugle calls were much the order of the day, likely an extension as well from the war years. Quite independent from Victoria, the barracks had its own community presence and culture. It functioned as a small city, contracted out for supplies and works, performed its traditional military duties, handled its “domestics” internally, but also hosted and participated in many local functions. It provided guards of honor for events, parades and visitors, firing parties for civilian and military funerals, adding a respected military fabric to the community and available if needed, to “aid the civil power.” A number of the married men and families eventually lived in civilian houses outside but close to the barracks.
Not much is recorded for the “between the wars” period, an example of the daily routine and duties in the early twenties is as follows, signaled by bugle calls:
Revielle – 5:30 am (summertime) and 6:30 am (winter), sick call, physical training, breakfast, parade, roll call and inspections, orderly room, parade, defaulters, supper, retreat, sunset, fire picquet, evening, last post, lights out, with some intermediate first calls mixed in. A possible 20 calls in a day, including “ pay parade” and Commanding Officer’s reception. There were two duty buglers a day, occasionally an “Alarm” call in the night was required, and perhaps a “Fire” call.
There was also guard duty, a sergeant, a corporal and six men per day, fire picquet, canteen, and orderly room personnel on duty. Needless to say, all the duty personnel were put to the test at one time or another!
Budgetary cutbacks, lack of equipment and kit and low recruitment, were features of the post war Permanent Active Militia (PF), as well as periodic reductions in personnel strengths of units. Local summer camps and training of the Non Permanent Active Militia did maintain itself for most years, on slim budgets, as well as personal training and education with an eye to individual advancement in rank. They all “got on with it”, even through the depression years.
Patricia’s were concentrated at Sarcee Camp, Alberta, to carry out battalion training on only four occasions during the nineteen years (1927 and 1930 I have photos). Each summer, “B” Company went to Heal’s Camp and other locations on Vancouver Island during the same period.
However, in the mid thirties, once the idea and threat of war was realized, spending and training increased, units were expanded, and the military again had more presence. Quite a number of the WW 1 veterans in “B” Company, were sent out into the cities and military camps of British Columbia and Alberta to organize and train recruits in preparation for WW 2.
Other units at Work Point in 1921 were HQ Military District 11; 3rd Fortress Company RCE; Canadian permanent Machine Gun Brigade – A Company; No. 11 Detachment RCASC; C.M.G. Brigade (11th); Royal Canadian Permanent Army Pay Corps; RCAMC; and the Military Hospital.
No 5 Company RCGA, 11th Fortress Signalling Co., 12th Siege Battery CA, 58th Battery CFA and 1Bn 16th CEF were at the Bay Street Drill Hall, while the RCOC was at Signal Hill.
The Royal Canadian School of Artillery was established, utilizing Macaulay Point as its base, in 1922. The Macaulay Point Battery was the only coast artillery battery within the Victoria – Esquimalt fortifications complex which existed continuously throughout the whole 1878 – 1956 story line period.
No. 11 District Works Detachment R.C.E. was formed from 3 Fortress Company, R.C.E.
PPCLI TUG-O-WAR TEAM, VICTORIA, B.C., 1923
Top Row – Pte. Joiner C., Pte. McAllister A.., Pte. Hutchison W., Sgt. Wallace, J.W.A., Sgt. Henry C.M.
Bottom Row – Pte. Armstrong A. DCM, MM, Pte. Wiltse L.M., Sgt. Watson J.L. DCM, MM, Q.M.S. Jones -Trainer, Capt. E.B. Underwood MC, DCM, Pte. Biss J.F., Pte. Scott A.H., Pte. McVie R.
Photo. B Company PPCLI marching into Work point in front of building 1004.
Photo. B Company PPCLI with trophies at Work Point Barracks.
Do You Remember
When John Doyle, a deserter from Work Point Barracks, returned from Seattle and gave himself up to the military authorities, explaining that the “dear old Union Jack was abused in Seattle more than he could stand”, and that he would rather be a deserter here than free there ? C.O.L.
Way back in 1878 when the Turkish trouble led to the terrible Russian war scare at Victoria, made doubly uncertain by the organization of the Fenians in the United States to launch a drive against Canada ? Many people, fearful of the Vladivostok fleet of the Russians, drew their money from the banks and sent it to the United States, while the men of the city prepared to meet the enemy, who never came, with the old muzzle loading rifles of the Hudson’s Bay Company. F.B.C.
When the collier Barnard Castle, laden with 2,300 tons of coal, from Nanaimo for San Francisco, struck Race Rocks and was beached in the passage between the Race and Rocky Point, there becoming a total loss. (November 23, 1886) R.
When Mr. Steve Jones had a new bus built by Mr. William Mable for the Dominion Hotel, the largest bus on the Pacific Coast, and crowds of admiring townspeople collected daily at his coach house to inspect it? (August, 1901) B.F.
When the “Iron Chink” was introduced into the canneries for the first time and Chinese hands in the Cleeve cannery threw down their knives, declaring the machine would have to go or they would? The iron man was shut down for the time being, but in later seasons was brought back as it came to realize that he could do what few others could – compete with the Chinese successfully. O.L.
Two of the three obsolete 6 inch disappearing guns at Fort Macaulay were replaced by two Quick Firing naval guns, this was referred to as a Close Harbor Defence role, the replaced guns were considered to be “in reserve”.
In 1924, 5 Company, R.C.G.A. was renamed 5 Heavy Battery R.C.A., they continued to reside in the brick barracks at Work Point and spent summers training at Fort Rodd Hill.
March 28, 1924
When the old Marine Hospital stood on the old Songhees reserve in the 80’s and how, although there were often a dozen or more sailor patients, there were no nurses to look after them, only the old couple, who nursed, cooked and did everything else necessary. E.H.F.
November 14, 1924
FOUNDER OF NAVAL COLLEGE BURIED
Impressive Scene Witnessed at the Funeral Yesterday of
The great esteem in which the late Commander Edward A.E. Nixon, R.N., (retired) was held by the service to which he belonged as well as by the wide circle of his personal friends and acquaintances in all walks of life was testified to in the big attendance at his funeral yesterday afternoon from the little naval church of St. Paul’s, Esquimalt. The edifice was crowded and a long cortege followed the remains from there to the Naval cemetery, Esquimalt, where interment took place.
The body was brought from the family residence, Wilkinson Road, Colquitz; early in the afternoon, pallbearers accompanying the remains to the church, where a firing party awaited the arrival of the little cortege. The impressive rites in the church were taken by Rt. Rev. C. de V. Schofield, Bishop of Columbia, assisted by Rev. F.C. Chapman, rector of St. Paul’s. The organist played the funeral march, and the congregation joined in the singing of two hymns.
On Gun Carriage
The coffin after the burial service in the church was placed on a gun carriage for conveyance to the cemetery, the cocked hat and sword of Commander Nixon resting on the Union Jack. The procession was led by a firing party of twenty five seamen on charge of Lieut. Hart, and a further thirty or forty men acted as a team for the gun carriage bearing the coffin, and beside which the pall bearers walked. There followed the chief mourners, Commander and Mrs. Morres, of Cowichan; and Commander Beard, Mrs. Nixon and her two children; and about thirty of the chief and petty officers from the Esquimalt Naval Station, carrying the numerous wreaths and other floral tributes. At the cemetery Rev. Mr. Chapman took the committal service.
The pallbearers were Eng. Lieut. Commander G.P. Clarke, Lieut. Oland, Paymaster Cossette, Eng. Lieut. Commander Stephens, Lieut. Gow, and Lieut. Godfrey
His Honor the Lieutenant Governor was represented by Major Selden Humphreys and Mr. H.J. S. Muskett, Brigadier General Ross, G.O.C., and Major Cobbett represented Military District No. 11. Others attending the rites included Lieut. Grant and Lieut. Beach, members of the staff of the Naval College here, closed in 1922, and of which Commander Nixon was the founder and head during the whole period of its existence. Mr. George Phillips and the whole of the Esquimalt dockyard staff attended, and the Canadian Mounted Police were represented, also the Navy League, by P.A. Raynor, and the Esquimalt Sailor’s Club, by Mrs. Ranns, and Yarrows, by Messrs. N. Yarrow, Izard and Robinson. Capt. Backler, under whom Commander Nixon served as a midshipman in the Brittania, was among the congregation at the church, also Commodore Barnes.
The Sea Cadets Band marched in advance of the cortege as it left the church, playing the funeral march.
“B” Company PPCLI arrived at Work Point Barracks under the command of Major Codville. Sometime in the early twenties there was a fire in a little store next to the big house owned by the Jacobson’s on Head street which was extinguished by the men of “B” Company.
During the twenties “B” Company held tactical schemes in the wooded area between Admirals road and Lampson street, commanded by Col. Codville who lived in the large house which is now the Olde England Inn.
During those years before the 1920’s several families kept cows on their property. They would graze them on the fields around Macaulay Point and Lyall street and the residents of that area would buy milk from them, in the large tins.
Where Macaulay school is and the area where all the married quarters are was at one time a golf course, with the golf club building facing Lyall street.
ESQUIMALT GARRISON RIFLE TEAM, 1925
Back Row: S.M. Read, Maj. H.R.N. Cobbett, Q.M.S. J. Kennedy, Sgt. T.E. Fairman, S.M. H. Durling, Pte. C.M. Henry, Sgt. H. Nielson, Q.M.S. A.E. Evans, Mr.Gr. H. Collings.
Centre Row: Q.M.S. J.H.C. Murray, S.Sgt. W.B. McKay, S.M. W.H. Ruffell, Brig. Gen. J.M. Ross CMG, DSO.
Front Row: Pte. A.R. Hooper, Pte. E.H. Shrosbree, Sgt. W.H. Wood, L.Cpl. H.W. Burton.
5th (BC) Regiment Canadian Garrison Artillery and Early Defence of B.C. Coast
The Fifth (B.C.) Regiment, Canadian Garrison Artillery, with headquarters in Victoria, has the honor of being the oldest Militia Unit now existing in Western Canada. Although the Canadian Militia List shows that this Regiment was organized in October 12, 1883, it should be remembered that the organization of the Regiment was an amalgamation of several military units which had been formed many years earlier. The various units which were united in a single Regiment in 1883 included: The Victoria Battery, formed in 1878; the Seymour Battery of New Westminster, formed as a Voluntary Company in1866; and one company of Victoria Rifles, first organized as a Volunteer Unit in 1862.
Citizens of Victoria have reason to be proud of their Artillery Regiment which during the last sixty three years has included in its membership a great number of the most prominent and respected men in the District, and has had for Commanding Officers such distinguished men as General Sir Arthur Currie; Lieut. Col. E.G. Prior, late Governor General of British Columbia; Lieut. Col. F.B. Gregory, Judge of the Supreme Court; and other men of note in civilian life.
There are still a number of men living who were actively identified with military activities in the early days, and with the valuable assistance of some of these “old timers” I have spent much of my spare time during the last five years in collecting and arranging the material for this historical record in order that the traditions of the Regiment may be preserved for future generations.
As the early history of the Regiment dates back to the pioneer days on this coast, and was closely identified with the history of other military units which are now non-existent, the story would not be complete without a brief review of the various organizations comprising our defences on this coast from the time when Victoria was nothing more than a fort of the Hudson’s bay Company.
Three copies of this record are being typewritten and bound in book form one for the Officer’s Mess, 5th Regiment, C.G.A., one for the Provincial Archives and a third copy I shall keep in my possession.
In presenting a copy to the Officer’s Mess as a souvenir on my retirement as Commanding Officer I wish every success to those who remain to carry on the good work. Although the Militia should train men to fight, the chief importance of this training is that it ensures to a certain extent a guarantee for peace. To be prepared for any eventuality is often the best means of preventing its occurrence. It is hoped, therefore, that the story of the Regiment as told in this book may be an inspiration to present and future officers to hold the standard high and always ensure for the old “5th” a degree of efficiency in keeping with the Regimental motto “Nunqua non Paratus.”
(SND) F.A. Robertson Lt. Col.
Smith Street was renamed “Peters” Street after Canadian born James Peters, a prominent army officer who first came to Victoria as a Major with “C” Battery in 1887, after serving in the Northwest Rebellion. He was known for his pioneering in photography. Colonel Peters retired in 1910, was active in the local community and elected to the first Esquimalt Council in 1912. He died at his home at 423 Peters Street in May 1927 which he had built in 1899 and named “Ashburn.” The house was demolished in 1947. See September 24, 1899. There is a profile of Colonel Peters on the CFB Esquimalt Museum web site.
Photos “ ASHBURN” Courtesy Colin MacLock (Mary Sanford Collection).
Document - “History of Ashburn”.
The 7th fairway of the Macaulay Point Golf Links ran in front of the house parallel to Peters Street.
BC Geographical Names Office
Wark Point adopted 20 March 1907 on Ottawa file OBF 0023, as identified in Walbran’s manuscript. Form of name changed to Work Point 5 April 1927, as had been labelled on Pemberton’s 1855 map Southeastern Districts of Vancouver Island, and on British Admiralty Chart 567, 1864. (Ottawa file OBF 0023)
COL. J. PETERS PASSES HERE AT RIPE AGE
In Charge of Artillery in Several Engagements During
LEAVES LENGTHY SERVICE RECORD
Was District Officer Commanding in Several Military Areas of
In the death yesterday of Col. James Peters, this district loses a distinguished officer, a first class sportsman and one who enjoyed popularity in a marked degree among all classes of the community where he had spent many years of an active life.
He had been in failing health for several weeks, and the end was not unexpected.
Born in September, 1853, at Saint John, N.B., he was the son of William Tyng Peters. His military career dated back to 1870 when he served as a bugler with the 62nd Saint John Fusiliers, when the active militia were called out during the second Fenian raid.
In 1872 he joined A Battery, R.C.A., at Kingston, and was given command of a company composed of detachments from A and B Battery, proceeding to Fort Garry to relieve troops of the expedition under Sir Garnet Wolseley, sent west to suppress the Riel Rebellion. The detachment was the first artillery to go to Fort Garry, and arrived via the Dawson route, just opened from Prince Arthur’s landing.
After five or six months at Fort Garry, as second in command to Major Taschereau, he returned east in charge of a party of invalided soldiers, and then reported at Kingston for qualification as an officer of the permanent corps of the R.C.A.
SECOND RIEL REBELLION
In 1881 he was appointed adjutant of the first Canadian artillery team to proceed to Shoeburyness, England. During the second Riel Rebellion of 1885 he commanded A Battery, R.C.A., in the actions at Fish Creek, Batoche and operations against Chief Big Bear’s band. For his services he was mentioned in dispatches. During that campaign he acted as correspondent for the Quebec Chronicle, and carried a cabinet camera with which he took many photographs, some of which appeared in the London News and the Graphic. These were the first photographs ever taken in action.
COMES TO COAST
He was given command of C Battery, R.G.A., on its formation in 1887 and brought it to British Columbia, and the first troops to cross Canada.
In 1888 he took the battery to the mouth of the Skeena River, landing at Fort Eastington, in connection with troubles with the Indians.
He remained in command of C Battery until it was withdrawn from British Columbia, when he was appointed District Officer Commanding in British Columbia. He remained in Victoria until the South African war, when he transferred to Toronto, relieving Col. W.B. Otter. He commanded in Montreal for a short time, and then was moved to London, Ontario, where he remained for eight years, being transferred back to this command in 1909. In the following year he was placed on the retired list, having completed thirty seven years of service with the Canadian Army.
Colonel Peters, after his retirement, resided near Work Point Barracks, at 463 Smith street. While in early years he took a great interest in rowing, horsemanship and hunting, of late years he had been known as an enthusiastic golfer and fisherman. He had gained many athletic trophies in his younger days, but his particular pride was a magnificent set of heads of moose, caribou and big game secured in hunting expeditions in New Brunswick, Eastern Quebec and in British Columbia. When the Esquimalt Council was established in 1912 he was one of the first councilors of the Township Municipality.
Colonel Peters married in September, 1876, Miss grace Hathaway, of Fredericton, N.B. He is survived by his widow and six children. They are Colonel James Peters, retired, of Bidefore, Devon, England; Mr. F.H. Peters, Surveyor General and Director of the Topographic Surveys, Ottawa; Mr. Hugh Peters, Assistant Engineer, Federal Department of Public Works, Victoria; Mrs. Grace Stewart, wife of Captain J.D. Stewart, R.N., retired, Camberley, England; Mrs. Olive Coulson, wife of F.L. Coulson, Toronto and Mrs. Gladys Bray, wife of Mr. R.R. Bray, Vancouver.
Two brothers and three sisters of Colonel Peters are as follows: Mr. F.W. Peters, Vancouver, and Mr. T.L. Peters, Winnipeg; Ms. Margaret Fletcher, Vancouver; Mrs. Charlotte Hanington, California, and Mrs. Susan Morse, Ottawa.
There will be a military funeral tomorrow afternoon, details of which were being arranged last evening. Interment will be made at the Naval Cemetery, Esquimalt.
COLONEL JAMES PETERS
The many excellent qualities of the late Colonel James Peters did not only become known to Victorians while he held the post of D.O.C. of Military District 11, or during his otherwise long and honorable association with the Esquimalt Garrison. He had mixed in many ways with the life of the community and wherever he was known it was as a sterling character. As D.O.C. he was extremely popular, and none the less efficient. The years of his administration at Work Point are still recalled with the highest satisfaction by all who served under him, and during those years, and ever since, throughout his residence at Esquimalt, he has been a loved figure.
Colonel Peters was a valuable resident of greater Victoria for he was always to be found on the side of progress. Even in later life, when his health had not been good, he had contrived to take a keen interest in the progress of this city and its surrounding Municipalities, as well as in the fortunes of the friends he had made; and his friends were many because his personality was an extremely likeable one. Ina quiet way, for he never wished his good actions to be known, he has helped many people over little difficulties in their careers, either by advice or otherwise. In whatever way his life is viewed he will be missed by all who had the honor of his friendship, and by many others who knew and admired his genuine characteristics. The deepest sympathy will be extended to his relatives and to this the Colonist adds its tribute of sorrow.
May 10, 1927
Many Attend Funeral Rites of Col. J. Peters
The funeral of the late Co. James Peters took place from the residence, 423 Smith street, Esquimalt, at 2:30 o’clock yesterday. Rt. Rev. Bishop Schofield officiated, assisted by Rev. F. C. Chapman. A large attendance was present, including officers, non commissioned officers and men of Work point Barracks, who attended in a body. The remains were carried to the Naval Cemetery on a gun carriage covered with the Union Jack.
The firing party was in charge of Sergt. Watson, P.P.C.L.I., firing three volleys over the grave, and bugler Sergt. Bates sounded the “Last Post.”
The following acted as honorary pall bearers: Col. A.W. Jones, Lieut. General G.R. Poole, Lieut. Col. A.R. Hodgins, Mr. A.C. Plumerfelt, Mr. Dennis R. Harris, Col. George R. Barnes, Brig. General J.M. Ross, D.O.C., Col. W.J.H. Holmes, Senator G.H. Barnard, Major H.W. Niven, Mr. Justice W.A. Galliher, Mr. D.B.F. Bullen, Mr. P. Criddle, and Major A. Mulcahy. The following acted as active pall bearers: Sergt.P.H. Baxter, Master Gunner Michell, Staff Sergt. Willcox, Sergt. Major Bradley, Sergt. Kendrick and Sergt. Smith.
A 13 pounder, 9 hundred wt, anti aircraft gun was at Work Point Barracks in 1927. This gun was mounted on an improvised travelling platform by Lt. J.C. Rycroft.
July 8, 1927
COAST BRIGADE TO TRAIN SOON
Fifty-Fifth And Fifty-Sixth Heavy Batteries To Camp AT Fort Macaulay
Twelfth Siege Battery and Fifty-Eighth Battery Will Proceed to Sarcee Camp
The Fifty-fifth and Fifty-sixth Heavy Batteries of the Fifth British Columbia Coast Brigade will go into camp training at Fort Macaulay on Saturday, it was announced by Major Kirkpatrick-Crockett yesterday. Both companies have been undergoing a strenuous preliminary course, so that when they enter camp they will be applying their knowledge to the practical part of the training.
This year the Fifty-fifth Heavy Battery will endeavor to maintain its record of the past two years and make another cleanup of the Canadian Artillery Association competitions. This company has for the last two tears won the Governor General’s trophy and hopes to win it again this year. The fellow company, the Fifty-sixth Heavy Battery, however, has been training assidually in an endeavor to wrest the honors from the Fifty-fifth, so that there will be keen rivalry at the camp.
The Twelfth Siege Battery and Fifty-eighth Field Battery, of the Fifth British Columbia Coast Brigade, will proceed to Sarcee Camp for training on July 12, and, following this, the anti-aircraft section will go into camp, thus completing the training of the Brigade.
PPCLI “B” Company Daily Orders