HISTORY OF WORK POINT BARRACKS
by Jack Bates
PART 1 — 1842 to 1886
Sealed Tenders Addressed "Tenders for Drill Shed", will be received at the Deputy Adjutant General's office, Yates St, until 4 p.m. of the 30th May. Plans and Specifications to be seen at the office of the Resident Engineer, Masonic Building.
Tenders must be accompanied by two approved bonds to the amount of $500 each for the commencement and faithful completion of the work by the time provided in the specification. Viz: within three months from the date on which the contractor is informed that his tender has been accepted at Ottawa.
C.F. Houghton, Lieut. Col.
August 4, 1874
Marine Hospital — Mr. Thos. Woods, Superintendent of the Marine Hospital, has taken charge of the establishment, which will be thrown open to patients in a few days. Five sick seamen are awaiting the opening to take up their quarters therin. Dr. Davie is the medical officer.
The B.C. Directories list 1874, Dominion Government Officials in B.C., show D.A.G. Military District #11, Lt. Col. Houghton, Yates Street.
Notice — Tenders will be received on behalf of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty, between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m., on Saturday the 1st of May, 1875, for the erection of a brick magazine ac., off Cole Island, the powder depot of the Royal Navy in Esquimalt Harbour.
The specifications can be seen at the office any day (Saturday afternoons excepted) between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
The lowest or any tender not necessarily accepted.
James H. Innes
Royal Naval Yard