HISTORY OF WORK POINT BARRACKS
by Jack Bates
PART 1 — 1842 to 1886
Vancouver Island Colony
"Powder Magazine Act, 1860."
Office of Lands and Works
THE GOVERNOR HAVING APPROVED of Halkett Island, in the Portage Inlet, as a fit place for the erection of a Powder Magazine, all parties willing to greet the same are invited until the 30th of March next, to tender at the lands Office upon the terms herein specified:
Halkett Island will be reserved for the sole reception of the Powder Magazine, and no rent will be charged for it pending the term of ten years, during which period the exclusive privilege of storing gunpowder within three miles of Victoria and Esquimalt, will be granted.
The magazine must be fire proof and constructed of brick or stone with double wooden doors and copper hinged and fastened to the satisfaction of Governor General, and must be capable of holding 100 tons of powder.
The contractor must also build a commodious landing place. The maximum rate of storage allowed by the Act is twelve shillings and six pence per ton. Persons tending must specify the lowest rate of storage at which they will be prepared to erect and maintain the Magazine; the period in which they will be prepared to complete, and the days and hours during which they will attend at the Magazine for the reception and discharge of powder.
The conduct of the Island and of the Magazine and its keeper and all matters connected with the reception, storage and delivery of powder therein and therefrom, and of the mooring of vessels in the vicinity thereof, shall be under the superintendence and regulations of the Surveyor General and subject to such provisions as may be passed by the Legislature.
For further information apply to the Land Office and see the "Powder Magazine Act, 1860."
By order of the Governor
J. DESPARD PEMBERTON
February 20, 1862
The Lay of the Prize Essay
MACAULAY'S PLAINS February 1862.
Macaulay's Plains being referenced in 1862 as a place of residence makes you wonder who the author was. Macaulay Plains was possibly used as a quarantine grounds during the 1862 small pox epidemic.